|110g pure icing sugar (plus extra for dusting)
250g plain flour (plus extra for rolling)
|200g unsalted butter, room temperature
Murray River salt flakes, pinch
|1.||Pre-heat Oven on Fan Plus 150°C.|
|2.||Place butter and sugar into a bowl of a freestanding mixer with paddle attachment. Cream butter and sugar on medium speed for a few minutes until pale and fluffy.|
|3.||Add eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to be fully combined before adding the next one.|
|4.||Turn the speed to low, gradually add in the flour. Be careful not to overwork the dough at this stage. Once all the flour has been added, turn out dough onto a floured surface and divide in half.|
|5.||Flatten dough into discs and cover with a tea towel and place into the Refrigerator for at least
30 minutes – 1 hour. Alternatively, the dough can be wrapped in cling wrap and frozen for long term storage.
|6.||Roll out each disc between two sheets of floured baking paper to a thickness of 3-5mm. Transfer the rolled pastry sheet onto a baking tray and place back into the Refrigerator to rest for
|7.||Once chilled, using a round biscuit cutter, approximately 11cm in diameter cut out 8 large circles.|
|8.||Using an Australia shaped cutter, approximately 10cm in diameter, cut shapes out of four of the biscuits. Remove the Australia centre shape and place onto a baking tray next to the cut out circles. Place biscuits back into the refrigerator and chill for a further 15 minutes.|
|9.||Bake all shapes for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden around the edges and the biscuit is crisp.
Cool at room temperature on the baking trays.
- Dust the cut-out circles with icing sugar evenly to coat. Spread the tops of the solid round biscuits with a thin layer of jam.
- Lay the cut-out biscuit on top of the jam, sandwich together to form a uniform rounds shape. Serve the Australia shaped biscuits alongside.
- The dough will keep wrapped in the Refrigerator for up to 3 days and frozen for 1 week.
- Any jam variety will work with recipe, experiment with your favourite seasonal flavour.
- Biscuits can be baked on Automatic Program: Select: Cookies/Muffins – Biscuits – 2 baking trays – Level of Browning 2 <li/)
- *Note with Automatic Programme – Remove step 1 – no pre-heating required.